• font sizeA
  • A
  • A
When do I need a permit?
If you are planning on building or renovation a structure, you will require one or all of the following permitsā€”Development, Building, Electrical, Gas, and/or Plumbing.
Is there a difference between a development permit and a building permit?
Yes. A development permit process is based on the Municipal Government Act and the Land-Use By-Law and allows a specific type of development on a specific parcel of land in the municipality to proceed with the zoning and development bylaws of the Town. A development permit specifies the permitted and discretionary uses, building height, site coverage, setbacks from property lines, and other buildings and parking requirements.
A development permit allows construction of buildings or structure to proceed on condition of compliance with the Alberta Building Code, which addresses building and fire safety. A building permit is required for the construction, alteration, repair, relocation, demolition, or change of use of a building.
What type of work requires a permit?
The Safety Codes Act requires that all contractors and homeowners in Alberta obtain permits prior to commencing work on buildings covered by the Alberta Building Code or work governed by the Canadian Electrical Code, the Alberta Gas Code or the Alberta Plumbing Code.
What are the benefits of obtaining a permit?
The major benefits of obtaining a permit are knowing that the installation will conform to the safety standards that have been adopted under the Safety Codes Act, and that inspection(s) will be provided by certified safety codes officers.
What services can I expect to receive for a permit?
Services that you can normally expect to receive include: a permit, plans examination (if applicable), inspection(s) by certified safety codes officers, inspection report(s), follow-up of deficiencies and/or unsafe conditions, technical advice, and a status report at the completion of the project.
Where can I build my structure?
Each property in Town is given a land use district. Each district has different rules and regulations. To find out what district your property is zoned, check out the Grande Cache Land Use District Map.
Do I need a permit to build a deck?
If your deck is more than 0.60 meters (two feet) above grade, you require both a development permit and a building permit. See resources Alberta Municipal Affairs Codes and Permit information.
Can I have a secondary suite in my home?
A secondary suite means an accessory self-contained dwelling unit contained within a principal dwelling or in an accessory building. Typical uses include such dwelling units commonly referred to as basement suites, in-law suites, garage suites, and garden suites. See resources Alberta Municipal Affairs Codes and Permit information.
Each property in Town is given a land use district. Each zone has different rules and regulations whereby some district allows for secondary suites and some do not. This information is found in the Land Use Bylaw or contact the Planning and Development department at 780.827.3362.
To have a secondary suite, in a location that allows it, will require an approved development permit, building permit, and any additional permits necessary prior to construction. See Application & Forms section.
What is a Real Property Report?
A Real Property Report (RPR) is a legal document of your site plan/plot/plan and is prepared by a registered Alberta Land Surveyor. The RPR will give lot dimensions, locations and dimensions of buildings, improvements, right-of-way, and encroachments relative to property boundaries. The cost of obtaining a RPR may vary and are not associated with Grande Cache. For more information, see link in resources section "Alberta Land Surveyors' Association."
When developing a residential or commercial lot, the Development Authority will make obtaining a RPR a condition on your development permit to insure that the development is compliant with the Land Use Bylaw.
What is a compliance certificate or compliance stamp?
The Planning and Development department will review your RPR to determine compliance with the Grande Cache Land Use Bylaw and provides a signed acknowledgement that your property is in compliance.